FOUR SEASONS GAMING
AUSTRALIAN & NEW ZEALAND GAMING LEAGUES
Have suggestions for website features or feedback on the design?
 #9  by zlr
 Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:53 am
Please leave your feedback on the design of the new forum here. We'll be looking to continually take feedback on board and improve before we go into the open beta stage.
 #43  by zlr
 Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:56 am
I'd like the 'edit post' button to be easier to find and more obvious to click on, see screenshot.

Maybe pull it out of the drop down and have it as a stand alone button.

edit_post.png
edit_post.png (132.08 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
 #44  by Grrrdian
 Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:11 am
Agree with above edit feature.

1. Hmm, with the forum theme, I think the text should take more than ~40% of the screen when viewing a thread. it's far too narrow atm imo.

2. the newest posts and the poll shouldn't be throughout the forum (ie when you're viewing one specific topic)

3. embedding of youtueb vids doesn't seem to work atm.

4. spoiler tag feature also isn't working.

5. links are indistinguishable from normal text.

6. would be good to have the option to revert to another theme (perhaps default one, or another theme with black text on whitebackground).

7. the current theme is a little odd with regards to how zoom affects it. I can browse majority of the internet with default 200% zoom setting (1440p on 27" monitor, need to have 200% zoom or i'd go blind heh), but it looks very big and awkward (and some of the layout tends to stuff up) when I do it with this current theme.
 #45  by zlr
 Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:20 am
Mick loves fixing this sort of stuff, the more detailed the better. Keep it coming :)
 #47  by mickzerofive
 Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:38 am
0,3,4,5,7 done.
1,2 i don't agree with
6 coming soon (later down the track)
 #61  by Aph
 Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:15 pm
Are there any other skins or layouts available?
The default layout and skin makes threads very hard to read. Would prefer white on black with a similar thread layout to the old forum (as opposed to massive borders around each post in a thread in this layout)
 #62  by Grrrdian
 Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:33 pm
the reduced icons and user info, increased width, and overall layout now is a lot better!

i find the text still somewhat hard to read though. i'm not expert in typeface and shit, so can't say why. looking forward to alternative themes.
 #68  by tjk
 Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:16 am
It feels like i'm on a mobile site, everything feels way too zoomed in and i also find it hard to read text.. may just be me though
 #70  by zlr
 Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:15 am
The text needs slightly more padding between itself and the white borders.

See this screenshot for where I think the padding should go to (roughtly, give or take a few pixels)

Right now the padding at the top is more than the left and the bottom, need to make them all uniform and just slightly bigger padding than what the top padding currently is, probably like about 1-2 more pixels or so from the top.
padding.png
padding.png (69.01 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
 #71  by Grrrdian
 Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:35 am
how about a dark overall website, but for the text of threads, the background to be a lighter shade of gray? similar to how esr main post looks (not the comments).

and agree with zlr, need to increase spacing for everything. again, i'm no expert, just googled this quickly and the examples make sense:
http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009/08 ... eb-design/
 #76  by storm
 Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:57 pm
Seems a bit too busy, the white borders detract from the post content, I literally go cross-eyed and get a headache trying to read them. Instead of white boarders it would be much easier to read if the posts were just block coloured a different colour from the background. Maybe increase the text size by 1 pt.

Please turn off the automatic scroll down with each page transition, it makes me feel sick :)
 #79  by remm
 Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:42 am
I have to have a good look over the site first, but my two dollars so far after a brief glance:

1. Potentially play with the grey background - change it to darker/lighter imho (Edit: I just looked at the site from a wide angle on one of my panels... it has a 'lightening' effect on the grey colour and it looks better that way) or play with a less clashing blue buttons/border. The grey values in the blue buttons seem to 'flash' and 'clash' with the grey values in the actual grey background. I hope i'm not tripping balls but the content background colour seems to change/pop when you look at different parts of the forum (such as this white area then to a blue button etc). And this is to do with the grey values of the colour scheme. Even the white text clashes with the main grey in contrast, so this probably should be addressed ASAP.

EDIT: This seems better slightly on my IPS monitor... but still not perfect

2. The site doesn't make good use of white-space to focus the content more into the center of the screen.
this is bad because:
a) the content is physically harder to read - the user must take in and look over the entire screen rather than a smaller (even marginally) column of 'the goods'. This is bad.
b) the content seems stretched. I think you will fix the padding issues somewhat if you add more margin to the left and right of the main container to sort of squash up the main area a little bit more. Look at most sites these days and there is a good bit of padding on the left and right of the main content. Whitespace is good space

3. Typography needs work (or could be related to point 1) try adding a little letter spacing and line spacing using CSS. For example see here: http://www.bluefountainmedia.com/blog/5 ... te-design/
This is why lecturers and tutors like 'double line spacing' its basically easier to read, and works on the web too, although you don't need to be that extreme with it. Text size should be upped by default and linespaced better, at the least.

4. To be continued... something about utilizing Twitter Bootstrap...

Cheers
- remm
 #80  by mickzerofive
 Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:13 am
will be going through this thread over the weekend to fix up what i can and will report back here with any changes. Thanks for all the feedback
 #89  by cerno
 Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:14 am
Site layout looks OK. I find the amount of white text a little bit off-putting, but the darkish colour is a good choice.

I think I said this in the previous version of the site earlier this year, but I reckon it could still be more compact and simple, as in small text and clearly defined sections. I can see that you're obviously aiming in this direction and what you've done so far is actually quite good.

As far as I am concerned esreality.com is pretty much the perfect forum. It's perfect for both PC and mobile viewing. Compact, easy to look at and well-organised. It includes custom themes and custom layout (you can add different parts to the side bar) which are huge bonuses. Hate to sound like a fanboy but I think you should look to it for inspiration.
 #106  by storm
 Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:33 pm
update: big improvement! I don't go cross-eyed anymore :)
 #126  by zlr
 Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:04 pm
Another small css fix required:
css_problem.png
css_problem.png (22.1 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
 #127  by Grrrdian
 Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:27 pm
Would be nice to have a "last post" time for the "newest posts" column on the right, same as the old 4sg site. makes it easier to see which threads are new and which are old.

edit: also, when i used underline above, i think the font changed?
 #256  by Grrrdian
 Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:09 pm
threads are highly legible now, good work fellas. loving it.

i've noticed the time of the post has been added in. is it possible to change the format of that? instead of "Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:01 am", it might be better to have "1 day ago" / "6 hours ago" etc. easier to comprehend.

also, when browsing forums and looking at threads, the background is still black. Would be nice to have a light grey background similar to the one we have for the threads themselves.

and just again, can't say this enough, the text part of forums look really fucking good now. :-) easy to read x100.
 #389  by mickzerofive
 Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:37 am
threads are highly legible now, good work fellas. loving it.

i've noticed the time of the post has been added in. is it possible to change the format of that? instead of "Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:01 am", it might be better to have "1 day ago" / "6 hours ago" etc. easier to comprehend.

also, when browsing forums and looking at threads, the background is still black. Would be nice to have a light grey background similar to the one we have for the threads themselves.

and just again, can't say this enough, the text part of forums look really fucking good now. :-) easy to read x100.
have been trying to focus a lot more on the actual website once we got the forums to a useable state. the time you are referring to is a good suggestion for change but will take me a little time since it's a plugin. we already have that time format working for the home page as we also agree it looks nice not having to compute time and date in brain. Also regarding the background color i assume you're referring to the most back-background this image here?. we are open to change it ofcourse but just wait till rest of the site is out and we can look at design changes like that for sure. Our actual designer did propose a lighter background so we are open for this
 #589  by hardy112
 Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:35 pm
The Forum outlay and design definently suits the purpose its got a good "you get what you put into a community is exactly what you get out of it.

I do however miss the nostalgic good vibes of old time 4sg version 1.

Peace out niggas :P :)