AUSTRALIAN & NEW ZEALAND GAMING LEAGUES

Would you take part in this Tournament?

Interested
90%
Not Interested
10%
 #715  by chosen1
 Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:58 am
Despite a lot of thoughts about PQL, the growing interest in it through-out servers is one of the most played modes at the moment.
This thread is an expression of interest in which will show if it would be worth trying a PQL Tournament when 4seasonsgaming takes off with it new site.
The tournament will be played on maps suitable for the game mode.

Please keep all personal opinions aside, Thread is open for discussion on certain areas that may need change to improve such as Health & Armor 200/200 or 200/100.

Tournament Information
Team size: 5 players a side
Game mode: PQL
Map Pool: 6plus, Okremix, Psidm7, Servitude, Black Cathedral, Quarantine, Hidden Fortress, Corrosion
Rounds: Best of 3
Health & Armor: 200/200
Last edited by chosen1 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #716  by merozollo
 Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:10 am
Count me in.
 #717  by illidan
 Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:24 am
I give PQL some shit sometimes, but I will be willing to try this. Could be fun
 #718  by aconix
 Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:10 am
I'll be in should be fun.
 #720  by chosen1
 Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:22 am
Pub PQL can be annoying sometimes due to the amount of numbers a team causes a lot of Spamming especially of nades, but I do believe in 5v5 situation and a team structure less spamming and would be actually a very interesting Tournament.
 #721  by rav
 Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:30 am
5v5 best of 3 will mean games take quite a while. Especially at 200/200.

Was it supposed to be a one day thing where teams all play each other? That would be a very long day assuming you have 5-6 teams. I could see it working if it was weekly and you played just one team per week, but then you'd have the problem of getting teams to show up each week.
 #722  by chosen1
 Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:45 am
5v5 best of 3 will mean games take quite a while. Especially at 200/200.

Was it supposed to be a one day thing where teams all play each other? That would be a very long day assuming you have 5-6 teams. I could see it working if it was weekly and you played just one team per week, but then you'd have the problem of getting teams to show up each week.
This will be a ladder system type of Tournament, If a team fails to show up then it becomes a default win to the team that has turned up, Win - 4 points, Default Win - 2 points
 #723  by Venom
 Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:55 am
Looks Awesome 😃
 #725  by chosen1
 Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:39 am
The Tournament would also run on a two bracket system.

Players ranked over 1800 in one bracket and then Players ranked under 1800 in another.
This will help to keep things fair so that it keeps an competitive edge to it but also keeps it fun so people don't have to come up against the very best and get slaughtered.
 #726  by merozollo
 Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:45 am
The Tournament would also run on a two bracket system.

Players ranked over 1800 in one bracket and then Players ranked under 1800 in another.
This will help to keep things fair so that it keeps an competitive edge to it but also keeps it fun so people don't have to come up against the very best and get slaughtered.
I agree. I get to kill Vladimir.
 #727  by billy
 Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:41 am
Keen
8-)
 #728  by rameau
 Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:29 am
I will definitely do my best to participate :D
 #730  by chosen1
 Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:48 pm
Its awesome to see the interest so far, dont forget to just click the Interested vote button guys :)

Also as a lot of you new 4SG Members sign up - Jump on discord!
 #731  by SUCC
 Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:39 pm
I'm All for it Mate! :D
 #733  by ister
 Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:27 am
I'm in :D
 #734  by HL3
 Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:01 am
im in yo
 #736  by chosen1
 Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:45 am
Keep it up guys, send this link around :)
 #737  by Dox
 Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:31 am
zzz fuck pql. If it turns to shit and you decide to do a vql tourney instead, hit me up.
 #738  by Bobbicals
 Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:01 am
I fucking hate CA but I might be able to get a team of duellers together for this
 #739  by Grrrdian
 Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:05 am
ye kewl, been a while since the last CA tourney. interested. i'd enter for the lulz.
 #740  by chosen1
 Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:36 am
zzz fuck pql. If it turns to shit and you decide to do a vql tourney instead, hit me up.
Give it a try Dox :)
 #743  by westyy
 Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:44 am
Definitely interested.

x69 on top!

Any thoughts on streaming too? Prizes? Happy to help where I can!
 #744  by jojo
 Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:49 am
Keen
8-)

o. fancy seeing you here. keen2!
 #745  by chosen1
 Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:14 am
Tournament may just be ran off Challenge with Team Signups on Forums but will keep you guys in the loop :)

As for streaming - I know a few people who may do it but may keep that for Finals.
& Prizes for the first Tournament may just be bragging rights but then again who knows.
 #748  by chosen1
 Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:24 am
+1
its BYO :p

Also Thanks to Purger who has offered to provided the servers for this tournament.
 #749  by Tesla
 Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:28 am
I'd love this!
Please ban nades though
 #750  by chosen1
 Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:04 am
I'd love this!
Please ban nades though
Nades will only have 5 each a player.
Take into consideration 5v5 clan matches usually will provide less spam.
Glad you're on board though Tesla
 #751  by chosen1
 Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:52 am
Update: Team Signups should be all good to go by the weekend.
Ill keep you guys posted of course and I'll get this Tournament underway.
 #752  by hexy
 Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:07 pm
I'd be interested, despite being bit out of practice.

How would teams work? Would people be expected to be in a clan/make a team specifically? My clan, Wizards of Darkness, was mostly active in the late 90's :p
 #753  by mickzerofive
 Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:35 pm
hi all i'll chime in here.

I've spoken with Chosen regarding this tournament as he announced this and it picked up traction very quickly. We actually weren't ready for competitions to be ran just yet (were originally planning on maybe early-mid march). We have fast tracked certain sections of the website to make this tournament happen on the website but need to finish some stuff off and complete testing on the weekend.

For now people will need to congregate their own teams via forums/in-game or how ever people create teams usually. In the future we will be making a system that will allow individuals to express interest in team tournaments but don't yet have a team. Unfortunately this feature is not going to be ready for this competition but we have put a great deal of thought into allowing players to better connect and form teams.

If the tournament goes ahead through the website then both Signups and Teams will be done via the website and not the forums. This is because we have built an intricate and statistical tournament system along with Map pick/ban process and easy score submission

We will have more details over the Weekend (probably Sunday / Monday night) with exactly how the competition will be ran (via our website or via something like challonge/toornament/battlefly)
 #754  by chosen1
 Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:12 am
I'd be interested, despite being bit out of practice.

How would teams work? Would people be expected to be in a clan/make a team specifically? My clan, Wizards of Darkness, was mostly active in the late 90's :p
Return of the veterans ;)
 #755  by Lure
 Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:33 am
In.
 #756  by chosen1
 Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:56 am
Just wondering for team sakes if you guys would rather a 4v4 rather than a 5v5, more teams hopefully will be the outcome?
 #758  by Tesla
 Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:47 am
Just wondering for team sakes if you guys would rather a 4v4 rather than a 5v5, more teams hopefully will be the outcome?
I'd personally like this
 #759  by Grrrdian
 Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:49 am
hmm i dunno if there will be more teams if 4v4. people want to paly with friends, even if they have to sub out one map or two (or week in / week out).

main factor is what teamsize people want to play. i personally don't mind either. given how we pub large CA, maybe keep it 5v5? and if a team has only 4 members in a particular week, rather than forfeiting, they can do 4v4.

/2c
 #761  by chosen1
 Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:13 am
The Tournament will be for now a 2 Day Weekend Event.
Day 1 - Eliminations
Day 2 - Finals
 #762  by Grrrdian
 Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:07 pm
sorry, but that's a shit idea

people have families, can't spend a whole bloody weekend. one day comps are bad enough, but somewhat manageable - 2 days? ye.. no.
 #763  by chosen1
 Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:50 pm
sorry, but that's a shit idea

people have families, can't spend a whole bloody weekend. one day comps are bad enough, but somewhat manageable - 2 days? ye.. no.
Well its just in discussion at the moment Grrrd, We dont want people losing interest or just not rocking up for games. I understand the family side of things as well.
 #764  by mickzerofive
 Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:34 am
1 day comp is fine for now
 #765  by Grrrdian
 Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:55 am
what's wrong with ladder?

just run it from forums, or on another site like challonge or sth (if 4sgv2 isn't ready for it yet etc).

i would honestly prefer a ladder. guess have a quick informal poll with potential clan leaders and see what people would prefer.
 #766  by zlr
 Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:35 am
In my experience one day comps have always been the most fun for quake players. Whenever we have run an ongoing seasonal tournament the last few years it has always fizzled out, with teams not playing their rounds for the week, people not watching the streams and so on.

I would guess that most people would prefer to play a one day comp on a weekend, because when you look at a bracket 50% of the players get dropped in the first round (if single elim), and it goes down by 50% each time so in reality most players in a one day comp don't actually spend that much time out of their day.

The only players in one day comps that could complain about the length of time are the ones who make it through to the later stages, and the players that do that usually don't mind spending that time in the game because they are the competitive ones / more serious or just enjoy spending a day and night competing.

Maybe a poll would be in order to get numbers?
 #767  by Grrrdian
 Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:14 pm
with the ladder, it's not about weekly games etc. you challenge other teams. if someone declines a challenge, they automatically forfeit. so basically, only the active teams would be at the top, and they could play each other as much as they wanted. inactive teams would just go to the bottom, or just be removed from the ladder. but it would hopefully encourage people to try 5v5 "competitive", rather than 10v10 pub.

'sides, i'm sure a lot of the older crowd can only handle pql ca in small chunks D:
but ye, poll good idea i guess.
 #768  by zlr
 Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:38 pm
Ladders have never worked for the QL community. Look at the cybergamer ladders, no one played any games and the people at the top of the ladder all just ended up winning from forfeits because no teams would accept their challenge.

It will take a lot of resources to make a full seasonal tournament system or ladder system, and it will delay the release of the open beta if we were to wait on it. Because it's going to be mostly the QL community using the website in open beta I decided that it wasn't worth the effort required to create ladders / seasonal format and that small one or two day comps running on single elim or double elim brackets would be sufficient for QL tournaments given the scenes current state.

That being said, all those extra tournament features are definitely being coded in, just not in time for the release of the open beta.
 #769  by mickzerofive
 Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:22 pm
cyber gamer evolution is a good example of where ladders don't work and thats why they moved away and brought in regular formats and changes to invite and limited teams for their top 2-3 divisions in games. Where by teams just play in round robins now (proving it's a failed system). People come and go and get bored/move on from games and come back all the time. League's are drastically affected by this. The idea of "challenging and defending" has huge glaring flaws surrounding it and is also probably the reason no traditional sport has ever even tested the idea.. even new sports such as MMA don't use such a logically flawed system they just match make themselves (this is the closest that i know of to a real world ladder system)

round robins = fair/more effort for teams
ladders = good in theory but terrible in practice/too much effort for teams
one day = convenient/less effort for teams
 #770  by Giantman
 Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:37 am
Yer sounds good aye
 #771  by Grrrdian
 Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:52 am
i agree with everything you guys said, but this is super casual PQL CA.

even one day comps are affected by problems, yet we still do them. when was the last time we had a one day comp where team didn't change because people having to leave? in the last CA one day comp, i ended up filling in for one team for first game, then carried cy@ for latter half of tournament*. in the A&D one day comp, like 3 different teams merged to make one grand finals team.

anyway. i can't enter a weekend tourney, and i'll have to think about the one day comp and see the timing of it. it's getting harder and harder to commit whole days to comps. i was keen for the idea of a ladder or any weekly comp, simply because CA games take 5-7 mins on average, and bo3 means 10-15 mins gaming with probably 10-15 mins gathering time, so 30 min investment every week (at a time of our choosing) - which is a darn sight easier than one day comps etc.

PS DaChosen1, please conduct a poll to see what format people are interested in playing.

* gotta talk smack when opportunity presents itself D:
 #772  by mickzerofive
 Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:20 am
alright no problems will discus with Chosen on the weekend further and he will release more information early next week
 #773  by chosen1
 Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:12 am
As of Monday-Tuesday there will be confirmation on exactly how this Tournament will ran.
I have taken in all opinions/comments from everyone.

Please just be patient until then as this was just an expression of interest and it has really taken off so now I need to sit back and plan it properly for the best possible outcome :)

Thanks guys.