FOUR SEASONS GAMING
AUSTRALIAN & NEW ZEALAND GAMING LEAGUES
 #813  by pen1s
 Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:28 pm
Used to be a huge Freeze community of Aussies and Kiwis back in the old Q3A days, servers were full 7 days a week. Now with QL it's 95% Clan Arena (which imo is quite inferior to Freeze). Is Freeze just not popular any more? I'm forced to play on a server in Chicago with 250 ping which sucks donkey balls.

Anyone else keen for some Freeze Tag?
 #814  by mickzerofive
 Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:06 pm
you'd probably have to ask cage to put one up since he's the only aussie host left. I'd say it wouldn't be very popular though. We ran a lot of variations of competitions i think we tried freeze and not many people liked it. I think team modes in quake are too hard for people now days :P
 #815  by pen1s
 Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:19 pm
How long was it tried out for?
 #818  by Grrrdian
 Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:15 am
freeze was broken for a variety of reasons in QL. that's why it never took off. it was almost impossible to win once your team started to lose.

can you note down the settings for this server in chicago? that's the first thing that needs to be done.
 #820  by pen1s
 Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:53 am
can you note down the settings for this server in chicago? that's the first thing that needs to be done.
How do I go about that?
 #821  by Grrrdian
 Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:58 am
what happens when new round starts (does winning team keep health? armour? weapons? what about losing team? how much hp/armour do they spawn with? which weapons?)

that's a good start
 #822  by pen1s
 Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:48 am
For both teams beginning the first round, or a newly unfrozen player, or the losing team of a round beginning the next round, they spawn with 125 health, 40 armour and the following weapons:

- Machine Gun with 150 ammo.
- Shotgun with 10 ammo.
- Rocket Launcher with 10 ammo.
- Grenade Launcher with 5 ammo.
- Lightning Gun with 100 ammo.
- Rail Gun with 25 ammo.
- Plasma Gun with 150 ammo.

At the start of a new round the winning team's health, armour and ammo remains the same as it was at the conclusion of the previous round.

The round limit is 8 and the time limit is 20.
 #823  by Grrrdian
 Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:24 am
ah the old american way

are powerups enabled?
 #824  by pen1s
 Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:53 am
Yep powerups are enabled.
 #825  by pen1s
 Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:10 am
Also if you are on the team that wins a round and are still frozen at the end of the winning round, you enter the next round still frozen.
 #834  by rav
 Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:38 pm
I'd be all for playing this, but the hard part would be getting more than one or two players in there at any one time.

I think the only way to do this is to try to get an actual set date (recurring or even just once off to start) where people actually agree to turn up and play freeze. But the first step would be to contact cage or purger and see if they'll set up a server for you with the right settings.
 #835  by pen1s
 Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:10 pm
I'd be all for playing this, but the hard part would be getting more than one or two players in there at any one time.

I think the only way to do this is to try to get an actual set date (recurring or even just once off to start) where people actually agree to turn up and play freeze. But the first step would be to contact cage or purger and see if they'll set up a server for you with the right settings.
There used to be such an active freeze community "back in the day", I'm hoping there are still some people around who are keen. I have no idea why so many people have such a hard on for clan arena. How do I get in touch with cage or purger? I'll link them to this thread.
 #836  by Cage
 Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:07 am
I don't mind putting a server up if...... I think people will use it. I have gone through this sort of thing several times before. People have asked for specific gametype servers with specific settings... I put a server up... a few people play a couple of matches and then it never gets used again.

Are you aware that Freezetag can be played on the multi-gametype servers by using the command /cv map <map name> ft? Not trying to be an arse, just that some people aren't aware you can vote for a specific gametype when voting for a map. This of course only works on the multi-gametype servers that allow you to vote for any gametype. Or is the Freezetag you are wanting a custom version of Freezetag?

I know Freezetag does get played sometimes on the =Pit= Clan Server, which I am pretty sure is a multi-gametype server.

I am not familiar enough with the Freezetag gametype to know what settings may be different on the Chicago server you mentioned compared to default Freezetag.... it may even involve a custom plugin of some sort as some server admins customise some gametypes with minqlx plugins that they write themselves and don't make publically available for other server admins to use.

I recently had this problem with a request from someone else who wanted me to emulate a IFT server running in Europe. Problem was that they had customised the gametype with a plugin that they had written that added an anti-camping and anti-spawnkill feature and it was these features that prompted said person to ask me if I could emulate this server locally in the first place.

So in short. If its just the default FT you are interested in, I encourage you to use the multi-gametype servers. If its a customised version that just involves a few modified server cvar's, then this is possible... but if it involves a custom minqlx plugin, then I am unlikely to be able to help, unfortunately.

Regards
Cage
 #837  by zlr
 Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:52 am
Multi-gametype servers are the answer and most efficient way to host those game modes.
 #838  by pen1s
 Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:13 am
Well there's obviously no way to guarantee that the server is going to be regularly and consistently used. I'm just hoping it will be considering how packed the local dedicated freeze servers used to be in Quake 3 Arena, and also recently I've been bringing it up with people I've been playing and numerous people have told me how it's their favourite game type etc and they'd love to play.

I understand that it can be played on the multi-gametype servers, but I just can't see that working. All it takes is a single vote and the gametype is changed. I'm of the belief that it needs to be a dedicated freeze server, with "Freeze Tag" in it's name so that people can see it in the match browser and they know this is where you go to play freeze tag. I think this is what will successfully recreate a local freeze tag community. I could be wrong of course, but I am optimistic.

I am unsure if the settings I listed previously is a custom version of freeze. I had a 10 year break from playing Quake and I can't remember what the settings were on the old ufreeze servers I used to play on, nor do I know what the default freeze settings are for Quake Live.

If it's too much trouble then fair enough, don't go to the effort. I just think the multi-gametype servers will not work. It needs to be a permanent Freeze server that clearly states as much in the game browser.

If there's anything I can do to assist then please let me know.
 #839  by pen1s
 Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:21 am
I just went into an empty server and changed the gametype to freeze to see what happens. The only weapons you start with are MG, SG and one more weapon of choice. Then 5 minutes after some players joined it was voted to CA.
 #840  by rav
 Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:54 am
I was just in that game, and I think there might have been a miscommunication as to why CA was voted. I think you were maybe talking about starting with all weapons? And they voted CA for that effect?

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a problem in the future, but I think that was the case this time. We played a game of freeze after that CA game. However, it did then move to an FFA game, and I quit because I really don't like FFA.

I think that's kind of an inherent problem with the multi servers. Pretty much no one likes all modes, so if you get a random selection, you'll have a few quit after a new game type is selected. And if there's a new game type each game, then the number of players becomes nonviable very quickly and the game dies. Is it possible to have it just have a cycle for whatever game mode you're currently playing? and then "/cv map gametype" is the only way to change it, so it needs to be voted on to win.

Anyway, I think it's fair for Cage to have reservations about putting in the effort of getting a dedicated server together to potentially hardly get used. I think your best bet is probably to get support going for a dedicated night/weekend day where people will play freeze on this server if it gets up and running. I can tell you now, you won't fill it with just random connections - you'll be lucky to have four people into it without prior planning. Start asking people on here, in game and in the 4sg discord if they'd play Thursday nights or whatever you want. If you can show Cage there are people who want to play, you might be in with a shot.
 #841  by pen1s
 Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:20 am
I honestly think if the settings on the server are right then people will consistently play. But yeah if it's too much hassle to set up the server then I'll just have forget about it. The problem with just rotating game type is the settings won't be set up properly (lack of weapons, thaw time too quick etc)... it will just make it a version of freeze that isn't enjoyable to play.
 #842  by Cage
 Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:29 am
I did a bit of sussing around with the Steam Server browser which you can use to show some (but not all) settings that servers use and checked out some of the Chicago FT servers and have found that there is quite a bit of variance between servers and that there is quite a lot of different custom settings that are possible for a FT server.

I don't mind throwing up a dedicated FT server as a trial, but finding the settings that everyone prefers is the challenge. Can you tell me the exact name of the Chicago FT server that you played on? The "Pill Freeze Tag | Chicargo" server seems to be popular, but it doesn't seem to have the settings you referred to as I can see straight away it says the starting health is 100 not 125.

I have the "MoreGametypes" factory that has a few different versions of Freezetag, but none that have the settings you referred to.

Here is an example of some Freezetag settings that are possible. This is from the MoreGametypes factory and is called "Ultra Freeze Tag".

{
"cvars": {
"timelimit": "15",
"roundlimit":"15",
"g_freezeRemovePowerupsOnRound":"0",
"g_freezeThawWinningTeam":"0",
"g_freezeEnvironmentalRespawnDelay":"3000",
"g_freezeRoundDelay":"0",
"g_freezeThawTick":"2",
"g_freezeAutoThawTime":"90000",
"g_friendlyFire":"1",
"g_startingArmor":"25",
"g_startingWeapons":"255",
"g_forceDmgThroughSurface":"1",
"g_startingAmmo_pg":"75",
"g_freezeThawTime":"2500",
"g_overtime": "0",
"g_itemTimers":"0",
"disable_weapon_bfg":"1",
"disable_ammo_bfg":"1",
"pmove_BunnyHop": "0",
"pmove_CrouchStepJump": "0",
"pmove_JumpTimeDeltaMin": "50",
"pmove_WaterSwimScale": "0.5f",
"pmove_WaterWadeScale": "0.75f"
},
"basegt":"ft",
"id": "mg_ft_uft",
"title": "Ultra Freeze Tag",
"author": "More Gametypes",
"description": "Ultra Freeze Tag settings.",
"tags":["classic"]
},

You can refere to this website to see what each setting does - http://www.regurge.at/ql/
That is just some of the possible settings that this particular Freezetag factory customises. There are a quite a few more that can be used to customise the gametype.

Anyway, if you can come up with the settings you would like (including which cvars are needed to set them) I could put together a custom factor similar to the one shown above. What I am not willing to do though is spend hours researching which settings do what to try and emulate another servers settings, only to finally get a custom factory gametype together and put a server up and no one uses it :)
 #843  by Cage
 Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:48 am
One thing you can try is jump onto the server that you have been playing Freeze Tag on while there is a bunch of people playing and politely ask who is the server owner.

If you can get that much info from someone then you can try talking to the server owner and ask if he/she would be willing to share their custom gametype factory.

Unfortunately, a lot of server admins don't like to share their custom settings as it is what makes their servers unique.

Just a thought.
 #844  by pen1s
 Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:38 am
I don't mind throwing up a dedicated FT server as a trial, but finding the settings that everyone prefers is the challenge. Can you tell me the exact name of the Chicago FT server that you played on? The "Pill Freeze Tag | Chicargo" server seems to be popular, but it doesn't seem to have the settings you referred to as I can see straight away it says the starting health is 100 not 125.
Yep ‘Pill Freeze Tag | Chicago’ is the server. I don’t know why it says starting health is 100, it’s definitely 125 – I just went in to the server to double check after reading your post.
I have the "MoreGametypes" factory that has a few different versions of Freezetag, but none that have the settings you referred to.

Here is an example of some Freezetag settings that are possible. This is from the MoreGametypes factory and is called "Ultra Freeze Tag".

{
"cvars": {
"timelimit": "15",
"roundlimit":"15",
"g_freezeRemovePowerupsOnRound":"0",
"g_freezeThawWinningTeam":"0",
"g_freezeEnvironmentalRespawnDelay":"3000",
"g_freezeRoundDelay":"0",
"g_freezeThawTick":"2",
"g_freezeAutoThawTime":"90000",
"g_friendlyFire":"1",
"g_startingArmor":"25",
"g_startingWeapons":"255",
"g_forceDmgThroughSurface":"1",
"g_startingAmmo_pg":"75",
"g_freezeThawTime":"2500",
"g_overtime": "0",
"g_itemTimers":"0",
"disable_weapon_bfg":"1",
"disable_ammo_bfg":"1",
"pmove_BunnyHop": "0",
"pmove_CrouchStepJump": "0",
"pmove_JumpTimeDeltaMin": "50",
"pmove_WaterSwimScale": "0.5f",
"pmove_WaterWadeScale": "0.75f"
},
"basegt":"ft",
"id": "mg_ft_uft",
"title": "Ultra Freeze Tag",
"author": "More Gametypes",
"description": "Ultra Freeze Tag settings.",
"tags":["classic"]
},

You can refere to this website to see what each setting does - http://www.regurge.at/ql/
The servers I used to play on ‘back in the day’ were called “uFreeze”. Maybe that was in reference to the server having Ultra Freeze Tag settings? Now that I think of it, “Ultra Freeze Tag” really rings a bell. If so then those settings are perfect as they were popular with lots of players for a number of years. Anyway I will check out that website you linked to see what each setting does.
That is just some of the possible settings that this particular Freezetag factory customises. There are a quite a few more that can be used to customise the gametype.

Anyway, if you can come up with the settings you would like (including which cvars are needed to set them) I could put together a custom factor similar to the one shown above. What I am not willing to do though is spend hours researching which settings do what to try and emulate another servers settings, only to finally get a custom factory gametype together and put a server up and no one uses it :)
Totally understandable, I appreciate your efforts thus far.
One thing you can try is jump onto the server that you have been playing Freeze Tag on while there is a bunch of people playing and politely ask who is the server owner.

If you can get that much info from someone then you can try talking to the server owner and ask if he/she would be willing to share their custom gametype factory.

Unfortunately, a lot of server admins don't like to share their custom settings as it is what makes their servers unique.

Just a thought.
I will definitely give that a go. I already tried to see if Pill Clan has their own website/forum but it seems they only have a fairly inactive Steam group. I’ll see what I can do though and get back to you.

I am thinking that the Ultra Freeze Tag settings may be the way to go though.
 #845  by Cage
 Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:53 am
I have just quickly setup a Freeze Tag server using the MoreGametypes Ultra Freeze Tag gametype factory settings. It is my #8 server.

I don't know what maps are good for FT as I haven't really played it myself, but I have just pulled out all the FT maps that were in the standard QL mappool that were used for the FT gametype and put them into a separate mappool file for this server.

If there are other maps (even Workshop maps) you would like added to the mappool, let me know. You can of course vote for any map even if it isn't in the servers mappool file, as long as it supports the FT gametype. Just use /cv map <map name>

Let me know if any server settings need changing. I didn't spend long setting this server up so it is highly likely something will need changing :)

Cage
 #846  by pen1s
 Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:09 am
Mate you are a gentleman and a scholar, really appreciate it.

I've just had a quick look. The only thing that stands out to me at the moment that needs changing is to make it a default team size of 8, round limit of 8 and time limit of 20.

I've posted a link to this thread at the Pit Clan forums and made a thread about the new server on Steam, I'll see where else it's worth posting about. Hopefully word gets out that there's now a dedicated freeze server.
Last edited by pen1s on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #847  by pen1s
 Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:58 am
Not sure if it's a problem on my end but every time I try to join now I get "Server disconnected for unknown reason".

Edit: problem seems to be fixed.
 #848  by Cage
 Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:41 pm
I've just had a quick look. The only thing that stands out to me at the moment that needs changing is to make it a default team size of 8, round limit of 8 and time limit of 20.

Done. Let me know if there are any other changes needed or maps added.
 #849  by Cage
 Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:45 pm
Not sure if it's a problem on my end but every time I try to join now I get "Server disconnected for unknown reason".
This is a Steam authentication issue that causes the Vac check (Valve anti cheat) to fail on the server. Just happens at random for some people for some reason. Usually the best way to fix it is to close steam completely, wait about 5 mins, then restart Steam and try again. If you just keep trying to join it usually just makes it take longer to fix itself.

Cage
 #854  by pen1s
 Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:28 am
Could be a problem on my end but I thought I'd let you know just in case - getting these weird things sometimes in place of ammo.

#856  by Cage
 Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:45 am
Yeah. No idea why it does that in some game modes. It used to always do that in TDM for me. I think once you have picked that item up in that spot once, it will then show correctly when it respawns. Just some weird bug with QL...

I just jumped on the Freeze tag server quickly and checked myself and they seem to show correctly for me... if it happens again try doing a /vid_restart in the console and see if that fixes it.
 #857  by pen1s
 Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:09 pm
Cool, will do.
 #865  by pen1s
 Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:44 am
Well no one has been playing. Looks like I was dreaming. :cry:
 #874  by rav
 Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:51 am
Honestly, your only chance is to try and get a weekly event going on say a Thurs night or whatever. It has worked for ctf in the semi recent past, but could be worth asking people if they'd be interested and then starting a thread to work out what day people can make it.
 #910  by pen1s
 Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:25 am
Hey Cage we actually had a couple of games on the server last night (first time since the server was started) and I realised that friendly fire was still on. If you could deactivate friendly fire that would be great. Cheers.
 #911  by zlr
 Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:33 am
Real quake players play with friendly fire on anyway :)
 #912  by pen1s
 Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:19 am
Yeah but I like to spam 'nades without killing my team mates. 8-)
 #918  by Cage
 Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:39 am
lol no worries. I have turned friendly fire off, so you can spam the shit out of your team mates now, i'm sure they will appreciate it :)

Cage
 #920  by zlr
 Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:05 am
That's the best part about playing TDM though! :O