FOUR SEASONS GAMING
AUSTRALIAN & NEW ZEALAND GAMING LEAGUES
 #988  by mickzerofive
 Sun May 07, 2017 11:45 pm
I know most people here are from QL and already familiar with the stuff in the videos but the content is not for us. It's directed towards new players. Please if you have friends or hear of people struggling in the game direct them towards these videos.

Item Control

Weapon Selection
 #990  by fishy
 Sun May 07, 2017 11:56 pm
is this Zy??
 #991  by mickzerofive
 Mon May 08, 2017 12:00 am
is this Zy??
Yes RJN/Zy i think his quake champs name is now like ZyRJN or something like that
 #992  by zlr
 Mon May 08, 2017 12:18 am
These vids are good it's what Quake needs before it goes into open beta and full release.

When people search for 'quake champions guides' etc there should be content for them so they don't run into the skill curve wall and stop playing. Releasing them on that channel is also a good idea because the majority of viewers are from outside the Quake community, already has 22k views on one of the videos which is pretty good.
 #1013  by cerno
 Tue May 30, 2017 6:40 am
you shouldn't be teaching new players item control strategies when

i) new players will and should be focussing on developing basic mechanical skills
ii) the game places minimal importance on health and armour. stack doesnt seem to win people games

the most important things for new players are aiming techniques and appropriate weapon choice

when it comes to new players learning team modes you could make a 2 minute video to show people how to time and set up for quad. as a new player that's pretty much all you need to know

the item control video will give new players the impression that quake champions is about running around the map, timing items to the second, jumping on items and getting frags in between. this is not the kind of strategy you should be teaching new people and especially not in quake champions

in tdm, duel and ffa the object of the game is get the most frags, which you accomplish through doing damage. timing and controlling items forms part of an advanced set of strategies which involve gaining a potential advantage in fights by having a higher stack, which MIGHT let you get more damage and/or get the most frags. But as we know that's not the only way of getting the most frags.
 #1014  by stelf
 Tue May 30, 2017 7:49 am
Whilst I agree with what you are saying Cerno I also think that Zy's tip is also valid.

I totally think that doing damage, practicing aim,dodge, weapon selection and positioning is most important when learning how to play but why do that for 1-6 months without attempting to time the major items? The aim/dodge etc will come either way in time, but I think it's a good habit to at least time either big armor or mega health to the second whilst your learning the other fundamentals. Never too early to start looking at the clock when you pick up an item and work out when it's going to spawn again.

Totally right on at least focusing on quad control in team games. I think the underlying message that you are trying to portray is that we might scare off new players if we try to hammer the mentality in them at an early stage that they have to control all the major items in the map or they won't be able to win. This may be very intimidating and potentially scare them off as it is too much to take in whilst they are trying to learn the core basics, all whilst getting wtfpwnd by the more experienced players.